Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Love The Blues

A few years ago I wrote a small post on my admiration for the blues and their creative turns of phrases. But the storytelling that goes on in those songs always astounds me. The vivid descriptions with few words is something I hope to come close to some day in my own writing.

Here's Shemekia Copeland, an outstanding blues singer whom I've admired for years, performing Never Going Back to Memphis.



The full version of this song on her album is a little over seven minutes and well worth it.

My favorite lines-
There wasn't a thing that man couldn't sell ya.

Cops walked in
Dog pullin' on a chain
Lookin' for a woman ran in from the rain
They sat out front eating fried chicken
While I sat shivering in a shed out behind the kitchen.

And that final verse gives me goosebumps
 
The river is risin'
Sky's gettin' darker
My mind keeps playin'
some old Junior Parker
Three days waitin'
All alone by the tracks
Lyin' to myself that man's coming back
He said he'd come around unless he was dead
guess he took another woman or a bullet in the head
I'm never goin' back to Memphis.

I love to listen to the lyrics of a song. The Man usually disregards most of the lyrics and focuses in on the melody. What do you primarily tune in to when listening to music? Are there any songs right now that you're really into? I'd love to expand my repertoire. So lay them on me in the comments.


13 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

It's early here and the house is still asleep so I only listened to a few quick bits, but wow, what I did hear, she sounds killer.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I always pay attention to the lyrics. (I'm also careful what goes into my brain.) Songwriters are often master storytellers.

Pat Hatt said...

The lyrics I always listen to. But song needs to be catchy too

M.J. Fifield said...

I always, always pay attention to the lyrics, and if a melody catches my attention, the first time I do is look up the lyrics.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm not much of a blues fan though I've heard some really haunting blues songs in movies and TV shows. My daughter has me listening to a lot of Alt rock.

Susan Says

Sandra Cox said...

She does an amazing job.

Loni Townsend said...

That's definitely catchy! Lyrics are a big thing for me, but also voice. The voice needs to have a bit of a rough edge. She's got a good voice for me.

Chrys Fey said...

Blues isn't really my genre of music, but I like to write song lyrics so I can appreciate good lyrics. And she has a great voice. I'm going to have to find the full version of this song. Thanks for sharing!

SK Anthony said...

That was cool! I do always pay attention to lyrics, some of them do tell stories wonderfully!

Unknown said...

I love the blues too! They have such a unique sound and deep emotions in the lyrics and performance. :)

cleemckenzie said...

With the Blues, it's all about the story that goes along with the music. These lyrics are so touching and close to the bone.

Sherry Ellis said...

Blues lyrics can be some of the best.

Crystal Collier said...

For me, it's the total musicality of a piece. The melody, the harmonies, the instruments, the lyrics, the performer, the performers grasp of the message, etc. I'm a total music snob.

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...