Monday, November 15, 2010

Tweaks That Change Everything

I need to make some changes to Brass In Pocket to make a more compelling first chapter. But I'm not doing them. I know how it needs to go, but these minor tweaks will change the tone of my two main characters. They won't be as dark, or as emotionally disparaged if I do it. And I don't know how I feel about that.

I've been toying with the changes in my head for about two weeks. And I don't like where the feel of the story ends up. With these few changes to the first chapter, the domino effect wreaks havoc along the storyline. So I'm at a standstill.

Maybe I'm being too rigid. Maybe lightening up the tone of the story will make it better. Maybe I just need to copy the whole story into a new document and try out the changes and see where they lead.

Have you ever had this problem where changes you need to make affect the whole story? Or is it just me?

3 comments:

Misty said...

I have had them and usually end up having to rewrite the whole damn thing and then hating it. Go with your gut. If you don't want the changes and you think it will make that much of a difference then I say don't do them. Play it out and make it compelling with the darker edge. You can do that and do it well!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm with Misty on this one. If you're so reluctant to start on the changes that is your instincts telling you to rethink.

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, guys. But now I'm back to the drawing board and have to rework my chapter one! (which I ditched to make chpt 2 the new beginning. Oy Vey.) lol

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...