Friday, August 21, 2009

Attempt #2

I worked yesterday on my presentation for CPRW - When A Slap Across the Face Just Won’t Do: Inserting Realism into Kick Butt Heroines. Still not sure about the first half of the title. I'm trying not to dwell on how many people from the group who this won't be very useful to. It seems to me that a large percentage of the group write sweet romances or contemporary ones without the need for their protagonist to kick any asses.

I'm trying not to psych myself out. I'm fully expecting to break out into hives and make a complete fool of myself. Which will mean I never show my face there again. Not that I'm actually writing right now anyway. Whew. Gotta stop this spiral down the porcelain highway before it turns into more of what has been going on this month.

Saw the new Harry Potter last night. I liked it, but even after two and a half hours I wanted more detail. It made me want to read the series again. I have other stuff in my tbr pile, though. Neuromancer, Freedom Writer’s Diary, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Slaughterhouse 5. You know, some light reading.

5 comments:

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Hey, knock it off. You'll be great. If you break out in hives it might be something someone can use in their book too. A kick ass heroine who knees guys in the nuts and breaks heads but breaks out in a rash if she has to speak in front of a small, friendly group of kind, understanding women in a freaking library.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL, Sue! Well said!

Ava, chill. First--any topic by any speaker is going to seem like it won't have relevance for any number of people. Almost every single one DOES, in the end, provide something every person can use. They may think they don't write kick-ass heroines, but they never know when they might need their wimpy heroine to fight or learn fighting.

Plus, your topic has the added benefit of real-life application as well as in-book application!

Ava Quinn said...

lol! Thanks guys. We'll see how it goes.

M.J. Fifield said...

I love the title of your presentation. Hope it goes well.

Ava Quinn said...

Thanks, Haleine!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...