Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Expert Advice"

Everybody has their two cents to toss in on almost every subject. Here's your chance.

I read an entry from Rachelle Gardner on her blog rants & ramblings on life as a literary agent. (check it out here) It dealt with genre specialization. Picking and sticking to a genre in your writing career to increase marketability and build a fan base. I've heard this advice several times before, and I generally believe it. I've also heard the established ranks scoffing at the newbies who say, "those rules don't apply to me" when it comes to the tried and true axioms of the publishing world.

That being said, I do believe it's best to specialize in a genre, but I just hate it.

I have two favorite tee shirts right now. The first shows a picture of Will Ferrell in a costume from an SNL skit with the caption, "More Cowbell" underneath it. The other is a shirt that reads, "They say I have A.D.D., but they just don't understand . . . Oh look! A chicken!" This sums me up quite nicely. I flit from topic to topic, and interest to interest like a monkey on Red Bull. My eclectic tastes run the gamut in everything about me. Just check out my music and movie selections on my Blogger profile. It's the same with my writing ideas. I have notes written in my book file for WIPs in Romance sci fi, BDSM, Contemporary, M/M, Erotic, Historical, Paranormal, Western, plus two non romance action adventure/suspense.

Part of me wants to be stubborn and do what I want like a defiant child, but I'd also like to make good in my new chosen profession. I respect experience. I do not feel that I'm the exception to the rule. It just goes against the way my brain is programmed to settle down to one genre.

So let's hear from some of you experts out there. Give me your two cent spin on this. Just be forewarned. I don't give change.

2 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Yet more evidence that e-publishing is for you! There are no such restrictions in that realm.

Ava Quinn said...

I guess so!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...