Monday, December 8, 2008

Undead? Yeah, Not So Much

I learned what Twilight was about a month and a half ago (for the answer to your question please reference previous entry-Pop Culture is Passing Me By). I'm not usually much of a fan of vampires which should have tipped me off that I shouldn't buy a story about them. No, it wasn't Twilight, but I do blame that story/movie for this bad read.

The ebook I bought was about vampires, and was not very well written. I have a feeling the company pushed it through so that the release was close to Halloween and the movie debut of Twilight. I was interested in several of the other earlier releases of this author, and the first chapter excerpt of the vampire story I bought by her captured my interest. But that was the only part that did. It was all downhill after that. Part of it was the writing, (which was choppy, underdeveloped, and trite) and part of it was my own dumb fault.

I have un-dead issues. Yes. Un-dead issues. I can't seem to suspend disbelief for romance between a walking, animated corpse and the living. Maybe I'm prejudiced. I could probably see it between two un-dead, but it smacks too much of necrophilia to me for the living and a vamp. As Alicia Silverstone's character Cher put it in Clueless, "You see how picky I am about my shoes, and they only go on my feet!" There's just too much of an ick factor when I consider a vampire sticking that thing anywhere near the vicinity it's trying to go to.

That's probably why I have such a problem with Sam and Ruby in Supernatural. When they got it on, it was a totally hot scene, but if I put it in the context of demon animating a corpse and a human guy, I feel like I need to go Oedipal with the eyes. At least make use of the eye wash station in my old high school chem class. Yick. This is where Natalie gets frustrated with me. I just can't get around the dead part to find it alluring.

So, needless to say, I probably won't be seeing Twilight any time soon. I'd be hard pressed to even name a movie that's out right now. The only one I had been interested in earlier in the fall releases was Pray the Devil Back to Hell. I know. Sounds all supernatural, but sorry to disappoint. It's not.

On the upside, the crappy story gave me a little motivation this week, which I've been sadly lacking. A crappy story got published. Maybe if I actually finish, one of my crappy stories will too! :)

4 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL! I'm not frustrated with you. You are how you are. And Ruby isn't the hot part of that equation, anyway. :)

I am sick and tired of vampires, myself, even if they don't squick me.

Victoria said...

Ruby is doesn't mean anything to me in that equation either! All I see is Sam.

I'm with you on the vampire thing. Enough vampires already. Please. I don't see the allure at all. I did read the Twilight series though, and I really liked the books.

WV-seveates- the fan section at a wrestling match between seals and walruses.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

OMG, Smith, I actually wheezed with laughter over that one!

WV: romofi = Gypsy-style coffee

Ava Quinn said...

Great WV guys!

Glad I didn't get toasted on the vamp thing! Or the Ruby and Sam thing. Just not workin' for me!

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...