Friday, October 17, 2008

Humor - It's Tough

I love humor like this. It's totally harmless, but absolutely hilarious. The golfers need to relax.



Lots of sitcoms today rely on crass, tasteless comedy that panders to the lowest common denominator. I miss Cheers, Mad About You, and the old variety shows that were on from the beginning of TV up until the seventies. They had great writers. And great performers. Red Skelton. Milton Berle, Jack Benny, Steve Allen, Groucho Marx. Groucho had terrific writers, but much of his comedy came off the cuff. Here's a perfect example.



There are two other TV shows that are on today that I admire the writing and actors. The first is Supernatural. Great writers, and excellent performances. The actors, Jared Padelecki and Jensen Ackles, have a broad range. The writers provide them with excellent material, and the actors convincingly portray it. Here's a sample, though not humorous, a good cross section of what they can do.



The other TV show I enjoy is Big Bang Theory. The interactions between the friends are warm and funny. The writing is smart, and the delivery is great. It's a fun show. Here's an example of the humor.



Humor is tough to write. There are some who can do it, and do it well. I'm envious of them. It's a talent that few have. We need a little more laughter now with all the craziness going on in the world. More power to those guys who can make us snort.

2 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Great clips! I hadn't seen that SPN one. And the BBT one made me crack up!

Ava Quinn said...

I couldn't find a humorous SPN that was brief, so I chose that one. BBT always cracks me up! :)

Share This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...